Social Welfare & Community Development Department
The Social Welfare and Community Development Department shall assist the Assembly to formulate and implement social welfare and community development policies within the framework of national policy.
- Facilitates community-based rehabilitation of persons with disabilities
- Assists and facilitate the provision of community care services including
– Registration of persons with disabilities
– Assistance to the aged,
– Personal social welfare services,
– Hospital welfare services,
– Assistance to street children, child survival and development; and
– Socio-economic and emotional stability in families;
- Assists to maintain specialized residential services in the districts;
- Facilitates the registration and supervision of non-governmental organizations and their activities in the district;
- Assist to organize community development programmes to improve and enrich rural life through:
– Literacy and adult classes;
– Voluntary contribution and communal labour for the provision of facilities and services such as water, schools, library, community centers and public places of convenience or;
– Teaching deprived or rural women in home management and child care.