Acquisition of Building/Development Permit
WHAT IS A BUILDING/DEVELOPMENT PERMIT?
Who can apply?
Any person or organization who has legal title to immobile property or plot of land and intends to develop, redevelop/renovate or change its use.
How to Apply
- Clearance letter after official search on status of land from Lands Commission/Land Title Registry.
- Clearance from the physical planning dept. with respect to land use type.
- Copy of title deed to the land.
- Four (4) sets of working drawings with the following
Requirements; i. Site Plan (scale 1:1:250 or 1:2, 500)
- Building, Fence, and Block Plans (scale not less than 1:20 or 1:40or metric equivalent 1:1000 & 1:2000).
- Building Permit Application Form and Physical Planning Department Form 1.
- Ensure that the under-listed professionals sign the various plans to be attached to the Building Permit Application.
- Professional Town Planner to sign the Block Plan.
- Architect or Licensed draughtsman for Architectural plans.
- Civil or Structural Engineer for structural drawings for Three (3) storeys and above.
- Submit completed forms with all other requirements as specified in the Building Permit Application and TCP 1 Forms to the officer in charge at the Town and Country Planning Department, which is the secretariat for SPC (Spatial Planning Committee)
- On submission, the applicant is informed of corrections to be made or additions if any; the processing fee, and date for inspection of the site (if necessary).
- Team of officers from Physical Planning and Works Departments and any other relevant technical dependent/unit inspects the site with the Developer within two (2) weeks of receipt of application to confirm the site as shown on the Site Plan and its suitability for the proposed development.
- The Spatial Planning Committee Secretary (Municipal Physical Planning Officer) process the application within two (2) weeks after inspection of the site
- Technical Committee meets to evaluate the application, visits site, and makes recommendations to the Spatial Planning Committee (SPC) within four (4) weeks after inspection of the site.
- d) Spatial Planning Committee considers the Development Applications within fourteen (14) working days after the Technical Committee meeting. (i.e.) The Spatial Planning Committee Secretary submits approved plans to the Municipal Works Department for issuance of development permit within five (5) working days after approval.
Collection of Permit
- Receipt issued as payment for the processing fee is NOT a Building Permit.
- Permit can be obtained within the stipulated three (3) months subject to the proper title to land and standard drawings.
- Building Permit is valid for five (5) years. Applicants who do not start or complete their project within five (5) years must apply for renewal of the Permit.
- Development must conform to the approved Planning Scheme.
- Fees charge are subject to change and regulated by Fee Fixing Resolution adopted by the General Assembly annually.
- Do not make any false declaration on your application else your application shall be rejected.
Acquisition Of Temporary Structure Development Permit
Who can apply?
Any person or organization who intends to develop a Temporary Structure on the side of roads, road reservations, public open space, or acquired land.
How to apply
Write to the Municipal Chief Executive with details of the applicant’s name, mailing address, telephone contact(s), and intended use of the structure
- a) Four (4) sets of working drawings with Site Plan (Scale 1:1,250 or 1: 2,500)
- b) Evidence of ownership or letter of consent from the landowner or relevant state institution as may be applicable.
- Application is forwarded to Municipal Physical Planning Officer for processing within five (5) working days of submission of application.
- Officers from Municipal Physical Planning and Works Departments inspect the site with the developer to confirm the site as shown on the site plan and its suitability for the proposed development within ten (10) working days of submission of application.
- The inspection team makes appropriate recommendations to approve or reject the application within five (5) working days of site inspection.
- Pay approved temporal structure permit fee at the Revenue office and submit the receipt to Development Control Officer.
- Approved application is forwarded to the following officers for their signature;
- Municipal Physical Planning Officer.
- Municipal Building inspector.
- Municipal Works Engineer
Collection of Permit
- Temporary Structure Permit is valid for six (6) months and subject to renewal. In some cases, validity is twelve calendar months (a year) e.g. ATM sites.
- Development must conform to the approved temporary structure permit.
- Temporary structure permit can be obtained within the stipulated time subject to suitability of the location for the intended purpose, proper title to land, and standard drawings.
- Fees charge are subject to change and regulated by fee fixing resolution adopted by the General Assembly annually.
Preparation of Land Use Plan/Local plan/Planning scheme/ Layout.
- Apply to the Municipal Chief Executive with a base map from Survey Department.
- Application is forwarded to Physical Planning Department for designing within five (5) working days of submission
- The initial design is subjected to public consultation for further inputs, recommendations, and/or corrections within fourteen (14) months of submission.
- The technical committee meets to evaluate the application and makes recommendations to the Spatial Planning Committee (SPC) within fifteen (15) working days after public consultation.
- Spatial Planning Committee meets to approve/deny the application within ten (10) working days after the Technical Committee meeting.
- Pay the appropriate fee and collect your approved Land Use Plan from the Physical Planning Department sixteen (16) months after submission of the application.
- The Physical Planning Department then distribute the approved Land Use Plan to other land sector agencies
Assessment of Rezoning Status
- Apply to the Municipal Chief Executive with a copy of the Land Use Plan / (site plan)
- An officer from Physical Planning Department is detailed to inspect the site with the Applicant within five (5) working days of submission of the application
- The application is presented at Technical Committee for consideration within ten (10) days after the inspection
- Statutory Planning Committee approve/deny the application within five (5) working days after the Technical Committee meeting.
- Pay the appropriate fee and collect your approved Rezone Land Use Plan from the Physical Planning Department one (1) month after submission of application.
- The Physical Planning Department then distribute the approved Rezone Land Use Plan to other land sector agencies